my scribbles of pandan & orange chiffon, 8 and 9-inch recipes… if you can understand
pandan chiffon, feels slightly too oily, oil left on hand after eating it.
This orange chiffon however is a winner, it is a great recipe, adapted from KitchenTigress.
I have proportionate her recipe which is for 8-inch mold to fit my 9-inch mould, i multiply all ingredients by 1.2 times, and also reduced the oil slightly, as the pandan chiffon i made using her recipe turn out a bit oily, which i am not quite sure why (whether the fresh santan i used is too thick, ie too much coconut oil, or because i did not beat the egg-yolk/santan/corn oil mixture till mayonaise-stage), so i am just going to reduce the oil very slightly for this orange chiffon. I also reduced the sugar slightly, and the chiffon turn out fine.
9-inch orange chiffon recipe:
Egg yolk mixture:
72g egg yolk (around 4 yolk)
50g sugar (i have reduced sugar slightly and the chiffon turn out fine, original recipe is 60g)
78g orange juice (freshly squeezed)
90g canola oil (don’t use palm oil which has a kinda smell, original is 96g)
18g orange zest (from 1.5 orange)
120g low protein flour
0.9 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 teaspoon salt
Egg white mixture:
216g egg white (from around 6 eggs)
small pinch of cream of tartar (less than 0.6 teaspoon)
– Preheat oven to 180 Celcius
– Whisk egg yolk and sugar till thick, add orange juice slowly while whisking
– Add canola oil slowly while whisking, make sure to whisk till mayonaise-thick texture
– Mix flour mixture in 3 additions
– Beat egg white with cream of tartar till slightly foamy. In LOW speed(so that air bubble will be fine and small), add sugar in 3 additions, and beat till the egg white won’t slide from the bowl when overturned.
– Fill mould, bang 3 times/use and cake tester to remove air bubble, then level top.
– Bake 15 minutes uncovered
– Cover with foil loosely and bake another 20 minutes
– Lastly, bake about 7 minutes(maximum 10 minutes) uncovered
– Flip over and cool the cake
This is a great recipe, do give it a try. Another 2 chiffon recipes below i tried making are also superb as well:
Recipe for Cream cheese chiffon, adapted from Cooking Pleasure
Egg Yolk Mixture (melt over hot water pan and stir to mix well. Set aside):
100 g cream cheese
40 g butter
Flour mixture (sift):
130 g cake flour
4 tbsp castor sugar
1/2 tsp salt
8 large egg yolks
100 ml milk
Place all the flour mixture in the mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre. Pour in all the liquid ingredients [egg yolks, melted cheese and milk]. Beat together until well combined and mixture is smooth. Set aside.
8 large egg white
small pinch of cream of tartar (less than 1/2 tsp)
6 tbsp caster sugar
– Whisk egg white + cream of tartar till frothy. Add in caster sugar gradually. Continue beating all the time until egg white mixture do not slide.
– Fold in egg white mixture in 3 additions.
– Pour into 9″ chiffon pan and bake in preheated oven at 180C for 15 minutes. Cover and bake 20 more minutes. Last 5 minutes bake it uncovered
– invert pan to cool cake