my scribbles of pandan & orange chiffon, 8 and 9-inch recipes… if you can understand
pandan chiffon, feels slightly too oily, oil left on hand after eating it.
This orange chiffon however is a winner, it is a great recipe, adapted from KitchenTigress.
I have proportionate her recipe which is for 8-inch mold to fit my 9-inch mould, i multiply all ingredients by 1.2 times, and also reduced the oil slightly, as the pandan chiffon i made using her recipe turn out a bit oily, which i am not quite sure why (whether the fresh santan i used is too thick, ie too much coconut oil, or because i did not beat the egg-yolk/santan/corn oil mixture till mayonaise-stage), so i am just going to reduce the oil very slightly for this orange chiffon. I also reduced the sugar slightly, and the chiffon turn out fine.
9-inch orange chiffon recipe:
Egg yolk mixture:
72g egg yolk (around 4 yolk)
50g sugar (i have reduced sugar slightly and the chiffon turn out fine, original recipe is 60g, i think 50g is the lowest amount you can go, because i tried 45g at one time, and the chiffon is just a bit sourish from the orange, so i think 50g is the amount to go)
78g orange juice (freshly squeezed)
90g canola oil (don’t use palm oil which has a kinda smell, original is 96g)
18g orange zest (from 1.5 orange)
120g low protein flour
0.9 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 teaspoon salt
Egg white mixture:
216g egg white (from around 6 eggs)
small pinch of cream of tartar (less than 0.6 teaspoon)
– Preheat oven to 180 Celcius
– Whisk egg yolk and sugar till thick, add orange juice slowly while whisking
– Add canola oil slowly while whisking, make sure to whisk till mayonaise-thick texture
– Mix flour mixture in 3 additions
– Beat egg white with cream of tartar till slightly foamy. In LOW speed(so that air bubble will be fine and small), add sugar in 3 additions, and beat till the egg white won’t slide from the bowl when overturned.
– Fill mould, bang 3 times/use and cake tester to remove air bubble, then level top.
– Bake 15 minutes uncovered
– Cover with foil loosely and bake another 20 minutes
– Lastly, bake about 7 minutes(maximum 10 minutes) uncovered
– Flip over and cool the cake
This is a great recipe, do give it a try. Another 2 chiffon recipes below i tried making are also superb as well:
Cream Cheese Chiffon
Recipe for Cream cheese chiffon, adapted from Cooking Pleasure
Egg Yolk Mixture (melt over hot water pan and stir to mix well. Set aside):
100 g cream cheese
40 g butter
Flour mixture (sift):
130 g cake flour
4 tbsp castor sugar
1/2 tsp salt
8 large egg yolks
100 ml milk
Place all the flour mixture in the mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre. Pour in all the liquid ingredients [egg yolks, melted cheese and milk]. Beat together until well combined and mixture is smooth. Set aside.
8 large egg white
small pinch of cream of tartar (less than 1/2 tsp)
6 tbsp caster sugar
– Whisk egg white + cream of tartar till frothy. Add in caster sugar gradually. Continue beating all the time until egg white mixture do not slide.
– Fold in egg white mixture in 3 additions.
– Pour into 9″ chiffon pan and bake in preheated oven at 180C for 15 minutes. Cover and bake 20 more minutes. Last 5 minutes bake it uncovered
– invert pan to cool cake